Sunday, January 8, 2012

Book Review: "Seriously...I'm Kidding"

              I recently finished Ellen DeGeneres’s third book, Seriously…I’m Kidding. I found it while walking around in Barnes and Noble. I picked it up and took it to the café and started reading what I thought was going to be an autobiography. I was pleasantly surprised. What I started reading was a really amazing book. It was different than that of most celebrity written books I have read. This book was also the first comedic book that I have read.
            Ellen’s book is not just a comedian publishing a bunch of jokes. In her book she looks at different problems and awkward stereotypes in society and how she deals with them. I was expecting a chapter by chapter memoir of her life, which I would have loved, but what I got was great. This book was not only inspirational and empowering, but it was super hilarious.
            Ellen has such a distinct voice and personality and her writing style was very similar. While reading her book, I found myself almost listening to her read it. I am a huge fan of Ellen’s and I plan on reading that other two books. After reading this book I found that she has an audio-book, which is read by Ellen, herself. I am very interested in listening to the book read by Ellen, because I am curious if it sounds like I thought it would in my head.
            As far as the reading experience goes, it was very good. The chapter lengths were perfect, giving a good start and stop point. When I read, I like to end on a chapter, not in the center, and the setup of this book, made it very easy. I found myself wanting to keep reading and not put this book down, because it was so funny and interesting. Ellen gets somewhat personal and it is just really fun, I find, to have an inside look at some of the thoughts that are going through celebrities’ minds. During and after reading this book, you, as a reader, find that you almost know Ellen personally. I highly recommend this book to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment