Friday, September 16, 2011

You Are My Best Friend Forever

          Sisters. I have been given the blessing and curse of having three. I tried to find a cheesy poem to use and compare to my relationship with all of them, but there weren’t any that described our relationship. You see, my sisters and I have a weird and quirky relationship. We all have the same dad, but my two older sisters have a different mom than my younger sister and I. We could use the whole “she is my half-sister” deal, but we don’t go there, because all it is is a title. There is quite a big age gap between my older sisters and me and my younger sister, but I think that just makes us closer.

                My oldest sister, Tracy, lives in town and is married with two kids. Tracy could be considered the brain out of all of us. She is very smart and very organized. I have grown closer to Tracy over the years, mostly because she is my big sister that I can go to with anything. I babysit quite a bit for her and that is when I get to see her the most. When my little sister and I were younger we used to go over and spend the night at her house and my favorite thing was that when we woke up in the morning we would get a yummy breakfast. Now I know that those little smokies (a.k.a. cocktail weenies) all come in the same package and that no matter who cooks them they are the same thing, but Tracy’s? Heaven.  So yummy. With our little smokies we would have chocolate chip pancakes with peanut butter on top and when you poured steaming hot syrup on top, it would melt the peanut butter, so you would have the perfect combination of a sticky, gooey, delicious mess.  
                My second oldest sister, Keri, lives in Arizona and is married with one child. Keri is the free-spirited, dancing, fashionista of the family. Ever since I can remember, Keri has always had style. One of the most vivid memories I have from when I was little was that when Keri would come home to visit, I would go into our parent’s bathroom while she was getting ready and just gaze at her while she was putting on her makeup, dreaming of the day that I would get to do the same thing and be just like her. Even though I don’t get to see Keri as often as I do my other sisters, I feel just as close. When she comes home, which is fairly frequently, it is like she never left. When I was in second grade, Keri got married. My trip to Arizona was the first time I road an airplane. One of the things I remember about going to Arizona for the wedding was that we got to stay at this huge hotel with the coolest pool. In sixth grade for my birthday present, I got to go back to Arizona with my dad for a week. While we were there, Keri took me to work with her one day. Keri worked for a store called Objects at the time as a buyer, so she got to go to New York and L.A. to look at different designers and pick out the lines that would be in the stores. Coolest job ever, right? Yeah, I think so too!
                My younger sister, Rylee, lives in the room next to mine, is not married, has no kids, and attends Kennedy as a Freshman. Rylee is the athlete of the family. I envy her so much. She swims, plays basketball, softball, and does track. Rylee and I have had an interesting relationship over the years. We used to fight all the time, but what sisters don’t? Now that we are both in high school and are at similar ages, we have started to get so much closer.  Now I am not the picture perfect big sister, don’t let me fool you. One of the funniest memories that I have of Rylee is actually really recent. We were in the car, on the way to school, and there was a lady walking in front of the car. Rylee throws her arms out and yells, “Bailey! Don’t hit her! She might turn into a cat!” Now after we had both realized what she just said we burst out laughing. It is just the little things that she says and does when we are together that make me love her all the more. She is my built in best friend and not my kid sister anymore.

                Sisters are forever.  You can’t get rid of them no matter what. They are your built in best friends. They are the people you look up to. They are the people you don’t have to try to impress. They rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment