Monday, May 21, 2012

Book Review: Da Vinci Code

                    I recently read the book, The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown. I have seen the movie and I thought that I would read the book it was based upon.  This was a phenomenally written book. The plot was really riveting. This book made me want to keep reading. I couldn’t put it down. One thing that I really liked about this book was the conspiracy theories scattered throughout the book. I find conspiracy theories really interesting, so it was really fun to read. It was somewhat confusing when the book jumped from scene to scene. I found it hard to follow where the book was at certain times. I did love how Brown uses descriptions of works of fine art to prove that art can tell stories that history tends to obscure. These works of art include Da Vinci’s Last Supper, Madonna of the Rocks, and Mona Lisa, which hide symbols of goddess worship and the story of the Magdalene; the Church of Saint-Sulpice, which still contains an obelisk, a sign of pagan worship; and tarot cards, which hide themes of pagan mythology. These art objects are constantly viewed by people who see them without seeing their hidden meanings. I would really like to go back and watch the movie now that I have read the book. I would compare the two, but being as I haven’t watched the movie in some time, I feel that it wouldn’t be accurate. I really liked this book and would most definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment