Friday, October 21, 2011

Gotta Start Somewhere

I rushed into the building, ran up the old stairs to the bathroom and started ripping out my curlers. I had thirty minutes to get ready, and I wasn’t going to waste any time. Hair was being pulled, zippers were being zipped, make-up was being applied, and hairspray was being sprayed everywhere. It smelled like Aussi hairspray and a bunch of people. All I heard was, “Five minutes!” And then came the butterflies.

            This experience above was what I felt before my first big performance. Before every show we always went over lines and got ready, and then right before we walked through the door I get a ton of butterflies in my stomach. Sure I have performed in school plays but Theatre Cedar Rapids, way different. My first TCR play was “The Children’s Hour.” Ever since that play I think I have found my niche, on stage.

            When I’m onstage everything that is going on in my life just disappears and I put my whole heart into acting. My favorite feeling is when I’m center stage, with a spot light on me, the butterflies in my stomach are doing the polka, all eyes are on me, and everyone is waiting for me to deliver the next line. Sometimes it is hard, but it always pays off.

            Oscar Wilde once regarded theatre as, “The greatest of all art forms.” I agree because when you are one stage you can become another person and you start to act like your character. Whether you are acting, singing, or both, just getting up there is half the battle won! It took me a long time to go and audition for a show and once I did I kept going back. Theatre has boosted my self confidence so much. I believe it leaves this effect on more than just me. If I didn’t act I don’t think I would be the same person.

            For most it is the end that is rewarding. When I did my first performance I was so giddy just waiting to go on. I gave everyone their Necco Wafer as a pre-show ritual. Nikki whispered something to Bailey, grabbed my hand and whispered, “This is it!” Then it was time. We went on, had a great show and got a great review. I came away from the show with new skills, new memories, but most importantly a new family.
            People say actors are really artsy fartsty people and acting is hard. People say a true actor acts from the heart. Well, people say a lot of things, but only you can determine the truth. Who knows, maybe you will be the next big thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment