Monday, February 27, 2012

40 Days and 40 Nights

          Lent started last week on Ash Wednesday and being the Catholic that I am, I have come to that time of year where I have to decide what I am going to do for Lent. This year, I have decided to give up two things that seem to be a part of my every day life; coffee and meat. Two essentials, right? It has been less than a week and I am definitely going through a withdrawal, more with coffee than with meat.
          When you give something up for Lent, it is supposed to be something that has importance to you so that you are making a sacrifice. So, being the heavy coffee drinker that I am, I decided to do without my caffeine friend for the next forty days. I am on day five and let me tell you, this is so hard. I am one of those people who wakes up with a cup of coffee and then has another sporadically throughout the day. I am so addicted to coffee, the smell, the taste, the warm sensation, pretty much everything about it. On Ash Wednesday, my friends and I went to Starbucks. Be proud of me readers, because I didn't give into the temptation, I got a tea and soaked in the wonderfully glorious smell of the coffee around me. Needless to say, I cannot wait until Easter and rest assured, I will wake up and drink a humongous cup of the best roast of coffee ever.
          My feelings towards giving up meat are completely different. I have always wanted to try being a vegetarian and so I am really excited. I will admit that I was tempted today by my favorite kind of pasta salad that has little bacon bits in it. I have been keeping up with this sacrifice very well. I think it is because a lot of my friends are vegetarians and I have their support. Also, my mom gave up meat so my meals at home are easy to work with as well. I feel bad for my sister, though because she has to deal with our meatless meals, but my mom has been pretty good about making our meals be something that could have meat in it, like noodles and you could have meat sauce or just an Alfredo sauce. We will see if I crack even though, I have complete faith that I won't. Easter please come fast!  

No comments:

Post a Comment