Monday, February 27, 2012

One of the Greats

         Tonight is Oscar Sunday, the 84th award ceremony where all of the movie greats gather together to acknowledge each other for their amazing accomplishments. Billy Crystol hosted the Academy Awards this year and I can honestly say he was not my favorite host. When they were announcing “Best Female in a Lead Role” I sprinted into the living room. I knew that I wanted either Viola Davis for her work in The Help or Meryl Streep for her work in The Iron Lady to win. I absolutely love Meryl Streep and was thrilled when she won.
          My favorite role of hers would be a tie between her role in The Devil Wears Prada and Julie and Julia. Both equally amazing roles, but both completely different roles. In her role in The Devil Wears Prada , she plays the editor in chief of one of the world's top fashion magazines. She is basically the “Dragon Lady” and works side by side with Princess Diaries actress, Anne Hatheway. These two are a great pair and play off of each other so well. She encompasses this character that you absolutely want to hate. She is so so mean, but you have to love her because she is Meryl.
          In her role in Julie and Julia , she plays the infamous chef Julia Child. This role is super funny and quirky. In this film, she works side by side with Amy McAdams, who she also works with in the film, Doubt which is a completely different role. Meryl Streep and Amy McAdams are a really great acting duo. I love watching acting pairs who are in different films together, especially these two because in Doubt , they play a two nuns who are very serious and in Julie and Julia , they don't exactly work in the same scenes, but Meryl character acts as the inspiration for Amy's, and throughout the movie you see the similarities that the two have in each other.
Though I haven't seen The Iron Lady , I intend to. From what I have heard she encompasses a serious character, but also includes her subtle sense of humor. Meryl Streep is just an amazingly versatile actress and is my role model. I hope that someday I can be an amazing actress like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment