Monday, February 27, 2012

Childish Games

            Show choir is a great thing. It allows you to get up on stage and dance and sing and just be in front of a group of people. I have been involved with show choir since I was in the eighth grade. Aside to the hairspray, aerosol deodorant, curling irons, character shoes, bobby pins, and clear bra straps, show choir moms are a huge part of the show choir world. The parents of our show choir make everything easier. They are there to help with everything, but this year I have run into some problems.
            I find it completely immature when mothers feel the need to sit around a pick on teenaged girls and compare them for the sheer satisfaction that their daughter is just a little bit better. On multiple occasions I have walked in on conversations about different girls. Why is it that parents have to point out flaws of other kids to assure themselves that their kid is the absolute best? The ridicule and childish acts do not stop there. The moms pick on kids and treat them differently than others solely because they feel threatened by that student.
            The irony of the situation is that most of the moms who complain about everyone else have some of the biggest drama queens for their children. I just do not understand why it has to be like this. It crushes my feelings because I have been the butt of the conversation at times. It is actually kind of sad when a seventeen year old can tell that what forty and fifty some odd women are doing is wrong. When you deal with petty teenaged girls all day at school, it is nice to have those adults that you can go to with anything, unfortunately you aren't able to go to those parents who are supposed to be there for everything. I guess they aren't our surrogate parents after all. No matter how hard you work, I guess it is always still a competition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment