Monday, February 27, 2012

Book Review- "Bossypants"

          Tina Fey is arguably one of the greatest female comedians. She was a star on Saturday Night Live and has made a career for herself as an actress and producer in Hollywood. I have loved her ever since I first saw her sketches on SNL and have looked up to her as an actress and a woman who has made a career for herself.
          My teacher saw that I was reading Ellen DeGeneres's book and suggested that I read Tina Fey's Bossypants. So, I went out and bought it, hoping to be pleased. I was more than pleased. I had expected this book to be a biography of Tina's life, starting from her childhood and going up to the present. What I got was different, but similar at the same time. This book was very similar to the book This I Believe that I read earlier this year, in that it shared a lot of philosophies and lessons throughout the book.
          The criticism I hold for this book is that the transitions from chapter to chapter don't really flow that well. It is like you are watching a movie and then all of a sudden the screen goes black and the scene is switched. The other criticism I hold is that I would have like to see Fey get a little more personable. For those of you who have watched her show “30 Rock” know her character, Liz Lemon. Throughout the book, it is almost as if her character comes out. Liz is your average, run-of-the-mill boss of a television show, much like Tina in real life. I would have really liked to get deeper into Tina's head, so hopefully she pumps out another book that is more of a memoir.
          This book is very similar to Ellen's because it is jam packed with Fey's humor. She has this sarcastic tone throughout the whole book and, like in Ellen's book, you can hear Tina's voice in the back of your head reading this book to you. Her descriptions in this book are superb, especially the chapter that she talks about her time that she worked at the YMCA. This is a book that you have to really struggle to put down. I highly recommend this book to everyone. I plan on reading this book again and again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment