Monday, February 27, 2012

Book Review- "Atonement"

          This term I read the classic, Atonement, by Ian McEwan. It was a wonderful book in my opinion with a riveting story that keeps you going. This book holds so many different emotions and it has a little bit of everything. Some things I found challenging about this book were at the end I couldn't really tell if it was a happy ending. The author made it seem happy, but it really wasn't. The set up of the book over several decades, being the first part of the book is a single day and then it jumps to WWII, was very confusing at times. Also, the multiple flashbacks from the characters was confusing, but as with flashbacks, this holds true most of the time. Though it was confusing, the time over which this book elapsed made for an interesting setting.
          The author did an incredible job of making his characters tell the story. It was confusing, though to think of Briony as the author of this book because she depicts herself as a bratty young girl. As the story goes on, I started to realize that she isn't looking for revenge on anyone at all, she is simply looking for forgiveness so that she can come to terms with what happened in her past. Though the description that McEwan uses in this book is amazing, I most definitely could have done without some of the gory scenes that he depicted during the war. There is a movie version of this book with Keira Knightly and James McAvoy that I have yet to see. My friends who have seen this movie and read the book say that it is quite similar, but there are some differences, which is only natural. I highly recommend this book to someone looking for a riveting storyline to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment