Monday, November 14, 2011

All-American Muslim

            Last night I watched the new show on TLC, All-American Muslim. The docu-series follows five Lebanese-Muslim families. I found it to be very interesting. Being as Arab-Americans are very stereotyped since the events of 9/11, the families describe how they are just like anyone else in America.

            One of the women, Shadia, was the feature of this episode because she was getting married. The twist? Her fiance is Irish Catholic. Shadia wanted to marry a Muslim for her son, who is from a previous marriage, and for her family. Her fiance graciously converted to Islamism, in one sentence and without an Imam, equivalent to a Catholic Priest. I found this very interesting, as a Catholic myself, I know how much work it is to convert to Catholicism and it only took one simple sentence to become a Muslim. The show continued to highlight the wedding ceremony and reception. The ceremony itself was held in the home of Shadia's parents. It was very small, with just the very immediate family and the presiding Imam. Shadia is also a less traditional Muslim because she does not wear a hijab or a lot of the traditional clothing restrictions that most of the women in her family do, although she did when in front of the Imam. At her reception, she took the American approach to the wedding, wearing a wedding dress and a veil.

            The other characters that they profiled were Nina Bazzy, who hardly fits the description of a stereotypical Muslim female. She’s blond, aggressive and making attempts to make a way for herself in the business world, going against what those around her have said to her. One of the fist things we hear fom her when she is introduced is, I may turn a few heads, but I do what I need to do to make it in this world.” Nina certainly adds a “Real Housewives” feel to the show. Aoude, a mother-to-be who hears the hijab but has a husband, Nader, who promises to be a more hands-on father than most Muslim men. When the cast is talking about the hijab, Aoude says, “I’m just like any other girl. I like to do my hair … I like to do hot oil treatments … I highlight it.” Fouad Zaban who is the head coach of the Fordson High School football team. Fouad has pioneered a shift in his team's summer practice schedule by switching to night workouts to accomodate the majority of his team players who are Muslim and fasting for Ramadan. We are intoduced briefly to Mike and Angela Jaafar. Mike, a deputy chief sheriff, and his wife Angela, an automotive marketing coordinator, are juggling their busy careers with raising their four children in a modern Muslim family. I found this show to be very interesting and entertaining with the humor thrown in by the personalities of the characters. I would recommend it for those who are looking for a good show that is eye opening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment