Monday, November 14, 2011

Birthdays

             Birthdays. Now, don't get me wrong. I absolutely love birthdays, in fact I just had one. I just got to thinking though, what is so special about a birthday. Yes, I know it was the day you were born and brought into this world, but really why do you get presents on your birthday? Shouldn't your mom be the one who gets the gifts? I mean she did all of the work. You didn't do a darn thing.
            Another thing is birthday cards. Why waste paper making birthday cards? I mean all it says is, “Congratulations, you made it another year!” It is always so awkward because sometimes, you get a card or gift from someone you didn't expect to, and then you feel obligated to give a gift back, and is that really what gift giving is about? Giving a gift out of guilt, or should it be out of sheer appreciation? Then, there are times where you expect someone to acknowledge your birthday, but then they don't and you're like, “Seriously? C'mon now.”
            Facebook makes birthdays really awkward. Like really really awkward. Now, I know I am not the only person who friends people that I know, but am not super close to. When these kind of people say “Happy Birthday”, it makes for a really awkward situation. I know they are doing it out of kindness, but when they make it more personal, it starts to get weird. Like the birthday card situation, you sometimes expect someone to say, “Happy Birthday!” to you on Facebook, and then they don't and some creep does instead.
            Sometimes the recognition you get on your birthday is a little overwhelming. I am not really a fan of being the center of attention. It makes me uncomfortable when everyone is super nice, just because it is my birthday. It's like, really? You couldn't be nice to me any other day? Just today because it is my birthday? I especially hate it when they announce it on the school announcements, because then everyone is sayin git to you all day. Then, when someone doesn't know that it is your birthday, they feel very awkward when they find out. Then, you feel awkward for thrusting this information upon them and have to reassure them that not being aware of your birthday is really not big deal.
            After rambling about all the weird things about birthdays, I would like to reassure you that I love birthdays. I love having a special day. I love cake. I love having an excuse to look nice. I love giving people gifts for their birthdays. So Happy Birthday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment