Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Irrational Fear Number Two: Heights

v  Irrational Fear Number Two: Heights

              So, this fear doesn’t really set me apart from a lot of people, but I am terrified of heights. I always say that it is a good thing I am short, kind of God’s way of telling me it is okay to be afraid of heights. If I was tall, there would be a longer drop to the ground. My fear of heights is constantly being tested.

                I am involved with theatre, which if you have read my other blogs, you probably know. Being involved with theatre, you have to utilize different kinds of sets. In my most recent school production of Seussical the Musical, I was Mayzie La Bird. For those of you who know the show may recall Mayzie’s nest. When my technical director told me that I would have to be getting up on the top of a nest and then rolled around on wheels, you can imagine that I wasn’t too thrilled. Now, I trust my technical director and he knows I am not fond of heights, but every show it seems that I have to be put up high. I think it is to test my fears.

                In show choir you dance on risers that are at the highest, about 4-5 feet off of the ground. When you add super-fast choreography, 5-6 people, and props, you are just asking for disaster. I will admit that I have fallen from the top, luckily I didn’t get hurt, but it scared the crap out of my. Falling is the exact reason I hate those risers. Along with my fear of heights, I am afraid of falling to my death. Terrified. I hate bridges, super-high rides at amusement parks, driving down hills, elevators, and tall buildings. Everything about tall things freaks me out. I would rather stay on the ground, where I know I am safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment