Monday, November 14, 2011

Irrational Fear Number Four: Spiders

Irrational fear number four: Spiders

         Creepy crawlies. Hairy, disgusting, eight legged freaks. Spiders. I hate spiders. They are so scary. I have killed one spider in my entire life and that is all I plan on killing. They are the most terrifying creature ever. I can handle snakes, sharks, and all of those scary things, but the second you throw a spider into the mix? Nope. Not happening.

         I think my fear of spiders comes from two things. First, my mom, older sisters, grandma, and old baby-sitter are all terribly scared of spiders, so growing up I have gotten used to freaking out when seeing one. Second, I had the scariest experience when I was little with spiders. I was in the fifth grade and I went to day-care during the summer. We were down in the basement, playing pool, and I saw the most ginormous spider crawling across the floor. I screamed, naturally, and told one of the boys to kill it. So, one of the boys took a pool stick and squished it. No big deal right? Wrong. After he hit the spider with the pool stick, is exploded and a tone of tiny spiders started crawling everywhere. It was so disgusting. My friend Mackenzie and I jumped up onto the pool table and just screamed.

         I have come across many spiders since that summer, but have only killed one. One time, I was home alone and saw a spider, huge by the way, crawling across the floor. I got up, got a pot and a big dictionary, took them, put the pot over the spider and the dictionary on top of the pot and waited for my mom to get home to kill it. The spider that I did kill, took me about half an hour to kill. I saw it and went to get a wad of paper towels because everyone was sleeping. I had to tell my self that is was okay and that it would be alright. I counted to three about ten times, getting to three every time and chickening out. This simple task was harder than ripping off a band-aid. Finally I just did it and was disgusted the entire time. I ran to the bathroom, tears of fear running down my face, dropped it into the toilet, and flushed.

         Now, I know that they are remarkable organisms. Making their own webs and such. I will give the spiders that, they do make really pretty webs, but they are still scary. Charlotte's Web and Sophie's Masterpiece make spiders seem like nice, innocent creatures. No. They are scary. I mean look at Spider-Man. What does that movie tell you? Don't get bit by a spider, or you will turn into some weirdo, who climbs walls and shoots silly string out of his wrists. Spiders are just gross. 

No comments:

Post a Comment